We attended a Veterans Voice meeting this morning. 👍🏻 Eric is a Marine Corp Veteran and this group helps Veterans get the medical care they need. After the meeting, we had a delicious cooked breakfast at the VA Hospital Cafeteria-Patriots Cafe☕. The VA Hospital, Long Beach employs a great staff! We enjoy our visit every time we visit the cafeteria!🇺🇸
Eric made some delish toasted sandwiches on bollio buns last night! 👍🏻 We used our leftover pollo sazonado from last night.
We make our rice n peas using sticky rice. Traditionally, white long grain rice is used.
You will need:
- Rice cooker
- 2 cups sticky rice 🍚
- 15 oz can of organic dark red kidney beans ( low sodium )
- 13.5 oz can of coconut milk ( lite ) shaken
- 2 large cloves of garlic minced
- 2 green onion
- salt to taste
- Peppercorn grind-we used 5 twists of grind
- Pinch of ground thyme
- Wash rice in your rice cooker pot til water drains clear as possible and place pot in rice cooker.
- Drain the kidney beans liquid into a 1 cup measuring cup. The liquid, coconut milk and water should equal 4 cups of total. Pour into the pot and stir.
- Add beans, garlic, salt, peppercorn grind and thyme and stir.
- Place the stalks of green onion on top and start your rice cooker.
- Once rice is cooked, let it sit for 10 minutes. The kidney beans will have risen to the top during cooking. Mix the beans and rice and you’re ready to serve!
My recipe was inspired by Fay at cooklikeajamaican.com 🇯🇲
Eric had an appointment at the VA Hospital in Long Beach today. We decided to have lunch at their remodeled cafeteria and outdoor patio. As you can see in the above picture, we definitely enjoyed lunch today!🍔 They also have a Starbucks within the cafeteria!☕
Went to Panxa Cocina in Long Beach for dinner tonight! 😋 I ordered the sea bass and Eric ordered the chicken enchiladas. Ordered a couple of sides dishes, creamy poblano rice and black beans. Also had a glass of Malbec. 🍷
Everything was great! Panxa is one of our favorite restaurants! 🤗 Now I have some new ideas for our future time in the kitchen. Looking forward to their brunch and happy hour! 🥂
You will need.
- Kitchen Aid Mixer-whisk and dough hook
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 cup fine ground corn meal 🌽
- 1/4 oz package yeast
- 1 t salt
- 1 t honey 🍯
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T butter melted
- 2- 3 cups flour
- wet paper towel or wet towel or plastic wrap ( we prefer a wet towel or paper towel ).
- 1 lb Italian sausage browned
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella
- Grated Parmesan
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 6 oz tomato paste 🍅
- 28 oz crushed tomato in puree 🍅
- 1/4 t dry oregano
- 1 T fresh Italian parsley chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Crushed Red Pepper Optional 🌶
- Add cornmeal and warm water to your mixer bowl. Mix well with whisk.
- Add the package yeast, salt, honey, 1/4 olive oil, butter and only 1 cup of flour using your dough hook for 10 minutes.
- Then add 1/4 cup of flour at a time still using your dough hook till the dough is not sticky nor hard. You should be able to knead the dough on a surface without it sticking. We used roughly 2 3/4 cup of flour.
- Remove dough from mixer bowl and knead for 3 minutes or so and make into a ball.
- Rub 1 T olive oil in the mixer bowl and place dough ball in. Cover with your wet towel or plastic wrap. Place mixer bowl in fridge until ready to use.
- Chop onion and Italian parsley, mince garlic.
- Heat olive oil in medium sauce pan. Add onion and sautee till translucent.
- Add garlic and sautee till about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir thoroughly.
- Add crushed tomato and stir thoroughly once again.
- Add oregano, Italian parsley, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
Back to Pizza Dough
- Canola oil your pan.
- Spread dough evenly in your pan and cover again and put in fridge till oven it ready.
- Heat oven to 475.
- When oven is ready take out your pan from the fridge. Add your cheese first. Then your green pepper, Italian sausage next, then finally your sauce ( do not over do on sauce, do not want a soggy pizza). Sprinkle the top with parmesan.
- Place pizza on middle rack and bake for 15 minuted on 475.
- Turn down oven to 400 for additional 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and caramelized around the sauce edges on the crust.
- Take out of the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes then remove ring.
- Cut and enjoy a slice! 🍕
You will need.
- 1 cup Korean Pancake Mix
- 1/4 Brown Rice Flour
- 1/8 Buckwheat Flour
- 1 cup Kimchi sliced
- 2 slices thick cut bacon 🥓 cut up ( not too crispy )-keep the bacon grease in pan to use later 😋.
- 1 green onion sliced
- 1 cup water or a little more for a thinner batter.
- 2 T canola oil
- 2 sheets of paper towel to put on plate to transfer the pancakes on to.
- Add Korean pancake flour, brown rice flour and buckwheat flour in your mixing bowl.
- Fry up your bacon in the pan, not too crispy and don’t forget to leave the bacon grease in the pan to fry the pancakes in 😋.
- Cut up your bacon, kimchi and green onion and add to the pancake mix.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix all the ingredients together.
- Lay paper towels on a plate to transfer pancakes on to.
- Add 1 T of the canola oil to the bacon grease on med heat. ( use the rest of canola oil between pancakes if needed ).
- When pan heated, pour about a 1/2 cup of pancake mix on to pan. Fry about a minute on each side or until firm enough to flip.
- Transfer pancakes on to paper towel.
- Pair with your favorite 🍺 beer!
You will need.
- 1 T Canola Oil
- About 1 lb of lamb, cubed
- 1 corn off the cob 🌽
- 1 sliced carrot 🥕
- 1 chopped red potato ( we only used 1/2 )
- 1/2 white onion chopped ( we use less than 1/2 )
- 8oz frozen sweet peas
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup 🍺 beer of your choice
- Golden Curry ( we used Extra Hot using the 6 serving packaged amount )
- cooked rice – we used sticky rice 🍚
- chopped green onion for topping
- Brown the lamb, corn, carrots, potato and onion in oil for 6 minutes or until browned on med heat.
- Add peas, water and beer to the mix.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Break curry into the mix and stir thoroughly.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Pour curry mix over your rice and top with green onion.
- Enjoy! 😋